ask a question
A Fun Activity for Kids
keep in touch
sign up for our newsletter
Growing Tomatoes | A Fun Activity for Kids
I have to admit I was a little dubious when my mum sent me a photo showing me how to grow tomato plants using just a tomato and some potting mix. But I was equally curious, so I thought I would give it a go.
It is SO simple to grow your own tomatoes. All you need to do is:
- Slice up a tomato (I did fairly thick slices, cutting the tomato into about 4 slices)
- Fill a pot with potting mix about 3/4 full
- Place the tomato slices on top of the potting mix
- Cover with the rest of the potting mix
- Water daily and watch for the little tomato plants to pop up!
I tried this with both normal tomatoes and miniature grape tomatoes, both sitting inside on the window sill and outside in the weather and they grew fine in all conditions!
A couple of pics about 3 weeks after planting (the little one is the mini grape tomato):
A super simple and quick activity – plus fun for the kids to watch and see the plants grow each day!
Have you tried this before? Do you have other simple gardening activities you do with your kids? Let us know in the comments below!
share this post